BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 9, 2009

2 more weeks left!

Only two more weeks left at AMC. I have experienced much more in just a week and a half. I am growing even more toward becoming an independent occupational therapist, the majority of the time my supervisor leaves me alone during treatment/evaluation sessions- leaving me to make most of the decisions. I have seen many different kinds of diagnosis such as amputations, general medical complications, all levels of strokes, gun shot wounds and many more. I even got to stand in on another surgery. It was an open forearm fracture. Both of the bones in the forearm were broken and one was through the skin, creating a gaping open wound in the forearm. It was very gruesome and messy- a few surgeons came in to see it because it was so "cool" and unique, so I felt honored to be standing in on it. I also saw the physical therapist clean wounds- not an average wound but wounds that almost go down to the bone and through the fatty tissue. The wounds bothered me more than the surgeries, just the smell is worse and the visual aspect is much more disturbing. I am continuing to learn and grow toward becoming an O.T.!

I was originally suppose to start my full-time position at Golden Living Center, but came to find out that the review board for my temporary O.T. licence will take 4-6 weeks and I cannot practice until I receive my temporary licence. So... I will be forced to take time off and study for the board exam until my temporary licence comes in. I realize this doesn't sound like such a problem to many people, but when you have not been able to work and pull in money for almost an entire year- you are eager to earn something let alone a real salary. I know my patience will pay off- but at times it is extremely challenging.

This past Thursday Ben and I saw Jackson Browne in concert. He rocked and it was an awesome concert! I would most definitely go see him again, he played all the songs that I wanted to hear and liked the songs that I haven't previously heard before the concert. My friend Melissa visited from home this weekend. We showed her around Atlanta and Georgia Tech. We had a great time and I miss her terribly already. My mom is visiting my last day of fieldwork and staying for the weekend (in two weeks) and I can't wait for her to come as well. This Friday a friend is getting us tickets to see the Phillies play the Braves and Saturday is the Steely Dan concert. Another good weekend ahead of us!

This past Monday was Dad's LAST CHEMO TREATMENT!! Yippee- he is done! Now he just has to go back for blood work and hopefully get his port out soon. He is also going to see a genetic counselor to see if it could possibly be hereditary and then Lauren and I can get tested if we want to. It doesn't seem like much, but it is a big step for him that he is finished w/ chemo now. I think we are all relieved that it is over- but no one is more relieved than him I'm sure.

0 comments: