BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Total Hip Replacement

Needless to say I got to spend an afternoon in the operating room watching a total hip replacement surgery! It was very neat to see. I was overwhelmed at first and wasn't sure where to stand, but once all 11 people were in the room and in their places, I found a spot to stand, that ended up being by the feet of the patient. Everyone was very welcoming and offered to answer any questions that I had. They laid the patient on her side and marked her with a sharpie. Within 5 minutes of carterizing and using a scalpel, the three surgeons were down to the bone. I was surprised when music started playing over the loudspeaker and chuckled when the head surgeon started singing along while cutting open his patient. I won't get into the blood and gore this time ,but it was (at the least) gruesome. It was interesting to watch it all unfold and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it went how I thought it would. Overall, it took about 2 and 1/2 hours from the time that they wheeled her in, to the time that they took her off the operating table. I am grateful that I got to experience a surgery in the operating room and realize that this might be the only opportunity that I ever get to watch operations such as this. My supervisor is hoping to get me into see a hand surgery with a plastic surgeon within the next 4 weeks.

Overall, I have my own 4 patients that I see everyday, along with about 8 other patients of my supervisor's. I see patients that have suffered gun shot wounds, car accidents, motorcycle accidents, strokes, joint replacements, and much more. I have come in contact with patients that have MRSA and require contact precautions (putting on a gown and gloves before entering the room), many of my patients have trachs and are on vents as well as heart monitoring systems. Many patients are overwhelmed by their diagnosis and their present condition, and become emotional during our treatment sessions. I have come in contact with prisoners and murderers, I have heard patients say the darnedest things... Everyday I learn something new and am pushed to my limits to see what I can do on my own. I get along well with my supervisor, Tanya, and am grateful that I have a supervisor that pushes my comfort level- that is how I will learn the most! Yay for only having 4 more weeks of working for free! :o)

Miss and love you all.

0 comments: